RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The Triangle’s job market is staying resilient through the COVID-19 pandemic, with local hiring activity ramping up in recent weeks. And new data indicates that many more jobs are coming as the number of startups swells accross the region as well as the state.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly jobs column keeps readers posted on local job and internship opportunities. Every Monday, we round up the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on local job boards since last week’s roundup.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The site’s COVID-19 job board lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks saw more than 2,400 positions were updated over the past week, with 116 new jobs posted on Sunday, March 14 alone.
Wake County-based employers with the most job openings include:
- Wake County Public School System (1,391 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (536)
- NC State University (510)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (393)
- UNC Health Care System (382)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (380)
- Lenovo (309)
- INC Research (220)
- Credit Suisse (211)
- Gilead Sciences (204)
- Advance Auto Parts (155)
- Allscripts (147)
- City of Raleigh (130)
- Harris Teeter (119)
- PRA Health Sciences (117)
- Duke University Health System (112)
- Food Lion (111)
- CVS Health (110)
- IQVIA (109)
- Wells Fargo (104)
- First Citizens Bank (101)
- Lowes Foods (101)
- McDonald’s Corporation (101)
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle—serving more than 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently features 55 marketing jobs within a 100-mile radius of Raleigh, 30 results within a 100-mile radius of Durham, and 25 results within a 100-mile radius of Chapel Hill.
Here are the positions that have been added over the last week:
- Cary: Digital marketing consultant for Verizon
- Durham: Marketing intern for Schneider Electric’s GreenStruxure partnership
- Knightdale: Senior manager of strategic marketing at Schneider Electric
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
Since last week’s roundup, one new listing was added to AU’s job board: Strategic account manager at Durham-based digital advertising startup Adwerx. The company also has listings for a digital marketing specialist, a mid-market account executive and a site reliability/infrastructure engineer.
Here are some other listings posted over the last few months:
- Pattern Health, a health tech startup that recently made news headlines for raising $1.5 million in new funding, is currently seeking an inside sales representative, a senior DevOps engineer, a security and compliance manager, a director of marketing and a director of business development.
- Book publishing startup Written Word Media is hiring a customer service and content specialist.
- Web design firm Pathos Ethos is hiring in several positions, including product manager, contract WordPress developer, back-end developer, front-end developer, mobile developer and director of engineering.
- Digital storytelling startup Looma is on the hunt for a lead designer to fill a role as its first internal design hire.
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, is also looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions (read more and apply here):
- Senior software engineer
- Mid level software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Mid level product manager
- Marketing specialist
WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center recently launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing—one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
$2.3 billion in biomanufacturing expansions is driving demand for more workers across NC
Dozens of biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Over the past week (since March 8), 25 new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Scientific consultant/grant writing specialist at Eva Garland Consulting in Raleigh
- GeneCoda’s client is seeking a regulatory affairs client liaison
- Research technician for the Duke Human Vaccine Institute’s Division of Structural biology
- Manufacturing technician at Impact Stars in Raleigh
- Entry-level technician at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
- Laboratory coordinator, downstream process development supervisor and protein purification research assistant/associate at Curie Co. in Durham
- Quality supervisor, laboratory supervisor and metrologist at Alcami in Durham and Morrisville
- EHS and biological safety manager at Pfizer in Morrisville
- IT support engineer at Durham-based Precision BioSciences
- FAccessioning technician at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- CTI clinical trial biostatistician, clinical project manager, senior statistical programmer, senior developer and proposal writer at CTI Clinical Trial Consulting’s Raleigh office
- Senior manager/associate director of small molecule quality at TG Therapeutics in Raleigh (or remote)
- Laboratory technician at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Frankel Staffing Partners is looking for an experienced quality assurance specialist and an associate device engineer for two RTP-based clients
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Here’s a recap of what’s been posted over the past month:
- Financial systems administrator at Cypress Creek Renewables, a solar energy company. The position will be based in Durham.
- .NET application developer at Western Carolina University, with a remote work option available. For the telework option, candidates must be located within an eight-hour drive of WCU’s campus in Cullowhee.
- Associate account manager at publishing software provider BlueMatrix
- Senior software engineer at adtech startup Kevel (formerly Adzerk)
- Lead cloud engineer/VP, functional business analyst, cloud engineer/assistant VP, java developer/assistant VP and senior full-stack engineer/VP at Deutsche Bank’s office in Cary
- Project engineer at RTP-based supply chain software provider Optricity Corporation
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page in January. You can filter your search by company, company size and industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 136 positions at 25 companies (as of March 14). Here’s what’s new since last week:
Raleigh startup Pendo, which is quickly ramping up its hiring this year, posted about a dozen openings in the last week: Enterprise account executives (remote), associate sales engineer, demo engineer, director of customer education, multimedia content manager, senior marketing manager, director of success operations, senior talent sourcer, technical account manager, general counsel, sales development manager, accounting manager, director of community and engagement, and growth marketing manager.
Other new job listings posted within the last 10 days include:
- Account manager at Rezdy, a booking and distribution platform
- Senior project manager and tools engineer at Veeva Systems, a cloud software company
- Facilities engineer at Durham-based pharmaceutical development firm MedPharm
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
The organization runs a weekly #TriangleTuesdays Hot Jobs alert. Last week’s posts featured jobs from Duke Energy, PNC Bank, Bank of America, Seqirus, Wells Fargo, BB&T, Credit Suisse, Lenovo, SAS, Capitol Broadcasting (WRAL TechWire’s parent company), First Citizens, NC State, Red Hat, Wake Med, Blue Cross NC, First National Bank, KPMG, UNC Health and RTI International.
Find more by scrolling through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter.
Upcoming Job Fairs
Virtual Career Fair for Individuals with Disabilities: March 23, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (online)
- North Carolina’s Office of State Human Resources is hosting a virtual career fair to help individuals with disabilities find their next job or internship in the public sector. Job seekers can chat with state agency employers via text chat sessions. Registration is free for job seekers.
NC State Poole College of Management Small Business Internship Fair: March 26, 1-4 p.m. (online)
- This virtual event will connect business students to small businesses, startups and nonprofit organizations that are seeking talent for summer internships and projects.
Wake Tech Virtual Business & IT Career Fair: March 31, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
- This virtual career fair will connect Wake Tech students with local companies that are hiring business and information technology professionals. NOTE: This event is specifically for Wake Tech associates and college transfer students/alumni pursuing business and IT careers.
NC TECH’s Virtual Tech Job Expo: April 21, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
- At NC TECH’s virtual Tech Job Expo, employers can connect and network with professionals seeking jobs and internships in tech. Tickets are free for candidates and job seekers.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Student Internship/Career Program Deadlines
Triangle Women in STEM Launch Award: March 26
- Triangle Women in STEM’s new Launch Scholarship program will provide a one-time cash award of $2,500 to help a graduating college woman transition into her career at an RTP-based company or research institution.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (241 jobs are available near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,034 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (251 startup jobs in RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
More Job News from TechWire
Charter Communications looking to fill hundreds of jobs in NC, hikes minimum wage
UK tech, design firm opens R&D center and US headquarters in Raleigh, is hiring
43,000 new companies that could create 200,000 jobs emerge in NC, new data shows
Coronavirus vaccine production could boost Merck’s hiring in Durham
IBM, Capital Area Workforce Development to offer job skills training – at no cost