RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Hiring activity continues to surge in the Triangle area as local employers scramble to fill thousands of open positions. The demand is particularly high for software developers at local startups and experienced scientists at life science firms.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 12,285 jobs in Raleigh, 12,071 in Durham and 11,834 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 40,255 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the five-mile radius filter): 12,036 jobs in Raleigh, 6,284 in Durham and 2,761 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 56,898 jobs in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 24,037 in Raleigh, 11,324 in Durham and 2,179 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 21 jobs in Raleigh, 14 in Durham and 9 in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,749 jobs in Raleigh, 12,190 in Durham and 3,748 in Chapel Hill
Life science companies are looking to fill jobs across the Triangle – here’s a breakdown
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (263 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,248 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (273 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Mid level full stack software engineer
- Junior full stack software engineer
- Senior product designer
- Product manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 71 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 32 results in Durham and 24 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
A few new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. is hiring Triangle-based associate marketing directors focused on vaccine confidence.
- IAT Insurance Group, a specialty insurance firm based in Raleigh, is hiring local social media marketing interns.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
Over the past week, three new jobs were added to the site—all from Durham-based digital consultancy Pathos Ethos. The company posted three job openings for a product manager, a project manager and a back end/cloud developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
From South Korea to North Carolina, finding a career in biotechnology
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Two local jobs were added since last week’s roundup: A java developer and a systems analyst for Fidelity Investments in RTP. The positions are part of Fidelity’s six-month return-to-work program, Fidelity RESUME, which starts in September.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 14,930 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and over 40 new jobs were posted on Sunday alone.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings, as of June 13:
- Wake County Public School System (3,418 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,237)
- UNC Health Care System (1,054)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (536)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (467)
- Amazon (460)
- EY (460)
- North Carolina State University (452)
- Deloitte (450)
- McDonald’s Corporation (430)
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University (1,394 jobs)
- Cisco Systems (630)
- IQVIA (598)
- Durham Public Schools (574)
- Duke University Health System (329)
- Cree (280)
- Duke University and Duke University Health System (256)
- BAYADA Home Health Care (246)
- Fidelity Investments (246)
- Covance (238)
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System (985)
- UNC Chapel Hill (549)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (508)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (312)
- Amazon (169)
- Orange County Schools (85)
- McDonald’s Corporation (46)
- Palladium Group (46)
- AHS NurseStat (44)
- Harris Teeter (39)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page earlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 167 positions at 27 companies. Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, added listings for a product manager, a technical training and enablement program manager, an enterprise enablement lead, an SDR enablement lead, a senior director of customer success, a senior director of enterprise customer success, a lead data engineer and a UX researcher.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, added several jobs in Raleigh: Proposal manager, senior manager of product marketing, senior quality system implementation project manager (remote), clinical R&D services engagement manager (remote).
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm, is hiring a senior scientist specializing in formulation development and an analytical associate scientist in Durham.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (June 8) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Upcoming Job Fairs
Triangle Bus Operator Job Fair: June 15, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. @GoTriangle in Durham
At this in-person job fair, Chapel Hill Transit, GoCary, GoDurham, GoRaleigh, GoTriangle and GoWake ACCESS will interview jobseekers for bus and paratransit operator positions. Read more TechWire coverage here.
In the LimeLight: Bus operator shortage spurs six Triangle transit agencies to hold one job fair
Triangle Women in STEM Summer Intern Event: June 17, 6-7:15 p.m. (online)
Triangle Women in STEM is hosting its 5th summer intern event, presented virtually through Zoom. Microsoft U.S. CTO Gina Loften will deliver a keynote discussing her career path, risks worth taking, personal branding, professional best practices and mentorship. A Q&A, along with career-specific breakout sessions, will follow.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: